Leading at the boundaries of the unknown...
The University of Pretoria's Gordon Institute of Business Science presents its 2nd annual residential Group Relations conference in the Tavistock tradition. The conference will take place from December 4-8, 2017, in Johannesburg, SOUTH AFRICA. Download the brochure here.
Leadership and Followership: The exercise of authority in turbulent times
January 17-21, 2018
Vision, expertise, level headedness, and the mobilization of cutting edge technology are all significant contributors. What may be too often overlooked or misunderstood is the role of powerful emotional experiences in leaders and their followers. Passionate commitment to a mission, experiences of disengagement and indifference and a range of others may play a more significant role than we might appreciate.
This conference offers opportunities for:
- Exploring “under the surface” forces and emotional territories that impact people, groups and institutions.
- Understanding your leadership style, how it is shaped by groups and how it affects groups.
- Developing your leadership capacity in uncertain, turbulent and less inspiring environments.
- Improving strategic thinking through a deeper understanding of how organizations are related to their social, cultural, economic and political environments.
- Recognizing the impact of liveliness and passion and their absence on group collaboration.
- Understanding how the irrational substrata of organizational life affects the success of individuals, groups, teams, and institutions.
- Increasing your effectiveness through a deeper understanding of people in context, as individuals, members of groups in institutions and as part of the wider society.
- Maintaining your role without falling victim to confusion, boredom and defensive disengagement.
- Applying your conference learning to your professional and personal organizational roles.
More information here.
Boston College presents:
Hierarchies of the Collective: Mind, Body, Spirit
March 23 - 25, 2018
Boston College, Chestnut Hill
A powerful approach to:
- Examine authority, leadership, and followership
- Work with boundaries, roles, and task
- Investigate implicit bias in organizations
- Face challenges in integrating parts and whole
- Learn through experience about group dynamics
For more information contact Tyler Bean at
Group Relations Australia presents:
Multiple Roles: Conflicted Interests
Professionals are trained in a specific field. When they are employed or take up their professional role, they often find themselves having to manage a variety of other roles for which they have not been trained. This experiential conference aims to help professionals, academics and managers to work more effectively in multiple roles, with multiple groups, where there are sometimes conflicting interests.
The conference is experiential. We will work together in a variety of group settings where we can experience how we take up and manage different roles and role conflicts, and learn from our own as well as others' experience so that our learning can be applied to our ‘back home’ situations.
3rd Epoch Network
Bureau Kensington, Inc is excited to announce the formation of the 3rd Epoch Network, an invitation-only community exploring Lacanian psychoanalytic frames for exploring organisations and their ecosystems and networks. The group will meet fortnightly under the consultation of respected Lacanian Philip Boxer, focusing either on one particular originating situation that raises questions of/challenges to practice, or discussing the ways in which close readings of selected papers/chapters relate to the issues raised by these situations.
While this network is currently invitation-only, if you are interested in taking part in future opportunities, please click here.